close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Zoning Board of Adjustment

Zoning Board of Adjustment

Appointed or Elected

Duties of Position: The Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) hears and decides requests for relief under the zoning ordinance. Where a proposed use of
land would not comply with the zoning ordinance, a property owner can seek a variance, special exception or appeal a decision by the building inspector. As a member of the five person ZBA you would attend hearings held by the board to hear applications for appeal and consider the testimony and documentary evidence submitted by the property owner, affected abutters and members of the public and then issue a written decision granting or denying the requested relief.

Responsibilities: Attend public hearings at town or city hall when scheduled; attend site visits to learn more about the property to be considered at
a public hearing; read application documents and the zoning ordinance to be prepared for public hearings.

Appointing Authority: Select Board, or elected by voters, depending on whether the municipality elects ZBA members.

Length of Appointment: ZBA Members are appointed or elected for three (3) year terms.

Time Commitment: The ZBA only holds public hearings when it has received an application for a variance, special exception or administrative
appeal. The ZBA will likely have at least one public hearing per month, and the hearings are typically on a weekday evening. In addition, site visits might be scheduled once per month on a Saturday morning, or on the night of scheduled public hearings.

Qualifications: Eligible candidates include adults over the age of 18 who are U.S. Citizens and who reside in town. A prior interest in land use matters or land use development, such as real estate agent, attorney, municipal planning or related technical field such as engineering, surveying and environmental sciences is helpful but not required.

Support Provided: The town may pay for attendance at training programs provided by the NH Office of Planning and Development or the New Hampshire Municipal Association.