close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Conservation Commission

Conservation Commission

Volunteer Position

Duties of Position:    To ensure the proper utilization and protection of the natural resources and the protection of watershed resources of the city or town. To conduct research into local land and water areas, to coordinate activities of unofficial bodies organized for similar purposes and keep an index of all open space, marshlands, swamps and other wetlands. The commission may also advertise, prepare, print and distribute books, maps, charts, plans and pamphlets it deems necessary for its work, appoint clerks and other employees or subcommittees as it may require and to recommend to the governing body board. The commission may receive gifts of money or property, including water rights, both within and outside of the municipality’s boundaries subject to the approval of the governing body and may also acquire by purchase the fee in land or water rights or any lesser interest. There are certain optional powers that may be granted to the commission by the legislative body, including the ability to expend funds to purchase an interest in land outside the boundaries of the municipality, subject to governing body approval, and to contribute to qualified organizations.

Responsibilities:     Hold public meetings and hearings, when necessary, attend meetings of other land use boards when conservation is at issue. The commission must also properly manage their accounts and funds.

Appointing Authority:   Appointed by the select board, city council or board of aldermen

Length of Appointment:  Conservation Commission Members are appointed for three (3) year terms.

Time Commitment:    The Conservation Commission will hold meetings whenever there is an issue relevant to their authority and could hold public hearings when the purchase of land is at stake. Meetings would likely occur monthly.

Qualifications:      Eligible candidates include adults over the age of 18 who are U.S. Citizens and who reside in town. A prior interest in land use matters or land use development, such as real estate agent, attorney, municipal planning or related technical field such as engineering, surveying and environmental sciences is helpful but not required.

Support Provided:    The town may pay for attendance at training programs provided by the NH Association of Conservation Commissions, the NH Office of Planning and Development or the New Hampshire Municipal Association.